Importing your tasks from Wunderlist to Todoist is a smart long term decision. By switching over to Todoist, you’ll be able to improve and organize your task management across all your devices and lead a calmer, more organized life.
In order to make things as simple as possible, we’ve created a Wunderlist importer tool that only takes a few steps to complete. Here are the details along with some commonly asked questions about transitioning from Wunderlist to Todoist.
How it works
Read about about how the importer tool works below and you should be able to complete the import in just a few minutes. If you do have trouble, read the more detailed step-by-step walkthrough below.
- Head to the Import your tasks from Wunderlist to Todoist page page and follow the simple instructions to automatically import your tasks to Todoist.
- When you’re finished, your Todoist account will have a new project called “Wunderlist Import”.
- All your Wunderlist folders and projects will appear as sub-projects under this parent project.
- All your Wunderlist tasks, sub-tasks, reminders, notes, and files will be imported to their corresponding projects.
- You will be able to re-arrange and edit all your imported projects as you would with other Todoist projects.
Step-by-step walkthrough of the Wunderlist Importer tool
Here’s a step-by-step walkthrough:
- Open the Wunderlist Importer on a desktop device.
- Click Start Import
- Sign in to your Wunderlist account (if you haven’t already).
- You’ll be asked to authorize access to Wunderlist. Click Authorize.
- Todoist will import your tasks from Wunderlist. It should only take a few minutes at the most.
- When the upload is complete, you will see the completion screen.
- You’re done! Your Wunderlist tasks, folders, comments, reminders and more will now be in the Wunderlist import project in Todoist. If you have any questions about the specifics of the import, check out the FAQ below.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist folders?
A: Your Wunderlist folders will transfer intuitively to be parent tasks in Todoist, with all your sub-folders listed as sub-projects in Todoist.
If you have over 200 tasks in a folder in Wunderlist, the folder will be split into multiple projects when transferred over to Todoist, with a numbered naming convention like “Folder (1)”, “Folder (2)”, “Folder (3)”, etc.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist task comments?
A: Task comments will be transferred to their respective Todoist tasks. However, comment authorship data will not be carried over. Specifically, the author of every comment will be you, so if you were working on a shared project with others, all of their comments will have you as the author.
Comment times will also not be carried over. All comment times will be set to the time of the import.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist reminders?
A: Reminders will be carried over to Todoist as they are.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist repeated/recurrent tasks?
A: When transferred to Todoist, Wunderlist repeated/recurrent tasks will only transfer the first task. They will lose their recurrence/repeated status.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist subtasks?
A: Subtasks will intuitively be added in Todoist as child tasks to the parent task
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist attachments?
A: Attachments will be ported over to Todoist as comments that include a link to the attachment file.
Note that the attachment file will be linked to the Wunderlist server, so it’s best to download them and re-upload them as Todoist task file attachments.
Q: Will my Wunderlist tasks still show who they are assigned to?
A: Unfortunately, the assignment information will not be carried over in the transfer.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist shared projects?
A: Shared projects will be converted to single person projects in Todoist. However, you can easily re-share them once they’re in Todoist.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist starred tasks?
A: The tasks will be transferred over, but the starred status will not be carried over in Todoist.
Q: What happens to my Wunderlist Inbox?
A: In Todoist, these tasks will be transferred to a project called “inbox”, which will be a sub-project of your Wunderlist project. They will not be transferred into your Todoist Inbox.
Q: What happens to my completed tasks in Wunderlist?
A: Todoist will not import your completed tasks from Wunderlist.